[mrtg] MRTG on win 2003

Clyde Jones cjones at exelixis.com
Tue Apr 3 16:47:58 CEST 2007

No problem
  If the configuration file has
RunAsDaemon: yes
then the MRTG process will go to background and not leave a command
window. You don't need anything else. If you look carefully there is a
process for making MRTG run as a service, so you never need to log into
you machine at all.

I forgot to answer question #3 for you, but a Google search should give
you the answer, or check http://oss.oetiker.ch/mrtg/3party.en.html. You
will need to have SNMP turned on and properly configured for any
machines you want to monitor.

Again, from the manual at
http://oss.oetiker.ch/mrtg/doc/mrtg-nt-guide.en.html
:

> Make mrtg run all the time
>
> Starting MRTG by hand every time you want to run it is not going to
make you happy I guess.

> There is a special option you can set in the MRTG configuration file
so so that MRTG will not
> terminate after it was started. Instead it will wait for 5 minutes and
then run again.

> Add the option
>
> RunAsDaemon: yes
>
> to your mrtg.cfg file and start it with:
>
> start /Dc:\mrtg-2.15.0\bin wperl mrtg --logging=eventlog mrtg.cfg
>
> If you use wperl instead of perl, no console window will show. MRTG is
now running in the background.
> If it runs into problems it will tell you so over the EventLog. To
stop MRTG, open the Task Manager and
> terminate the wperl.exe process. If mrtg has anything to tell you
these messages can be found in the event log.

look at http://www.firedaemon.com/mrtg-howto.html
> which describes a free tool to start any program as a Service. The
pages gives specific instructions for MRTG users.