[mrtg] Cisco 6500 and MRTG

Daniel J McDonald dan.mcdonald at austinenergy.com
Mon Apr 23 14:09:11 CEST 2007

On Mon, 2007-04-23 at 12:15 +0200, Henrik Jacobsson wrote:

> I've gotten an idea, I "work" at a place that maintans the "city MAN"
> or whatever it is called in English.

That's a fine name, although it is a bit redundant (Metropolitan Area
Network already refers to a city).

>  The core is 2 6500 with HSRP

Native IOS, or Hybrid CatOS/IOS?  It makes a big difference.

> and dist/access around 250 3550s

Very similar to my network - I've got about about 20 6500 at corporate
sites, and about 130 3500/3750 at electrical substations.

> Cisco straight through, now, we got this idea, put up an MRTG graph
> over the primary 6500 router. How should you configure the mrtg config
> file?

In the simple case, just run cfgmaker and go.

If you want to run snmp against all 250 routers, then you will want to
plan a bit more and use the Directory[] function.

I have templates set up that I use on my 6500's, specific to the
particular family of code (If you are running IOS Modularity there are a
few other twists).

Let us know what you are attempting to provide, and we'll attempt to
help you.

--
Daniel J McDonald, CCIE # 2495, CISSP # 78281, CNX
Austin Energy