[mrtg] Strategery for cfg file

Peter Laws plaws at ou.edu
Mon Aug 27 20:05:06 CEST 2007

Just last week, I started playing with MRTG (v2.14.5 on RHEL 5) for the
first time in many years.

I've got a couple core routers, a dozen or so main floor switches, then
bunches more odds'n'ends around the shop.

MRTG is working fine, but I need advice on how to manage configs.  I dumped
all the devices into one cfg file, ran indexmaker and voila .... a huge
ugly page with hundreds and hundreds of ports!  Not what I wanted but
exactly what I specified.  :-)  Shouldn't it do what I mean and not what I
said?

What I want is a page that has one link for each device showing its
aggregate traffic.  Click on the link, and I see the breakdown of each
port.  What is the best way to do that?  Separate cfgs?  A different set of
options on indexmaker?

If this is a FAQ, please point me in the direction of answers ...

Thanks.

--
Peter Laws / N5UWY
plaws at ou.edu

+ Ranked 10th in PC Magazine's 2007 Top 20 Wired Campuses
+ Computerworld 2006 100 Best Places to Work in IT