[mrtg] mrtg log

McDonald, Dan Dan.McDonald at austinenergy.com
Tue Dec 11 13:51:59 CET 2007

On Mon, 2007-12-10 at 19:49 +0100, Pili Muñoz Gargallo wrote:
> hi all,
>
> I would like to use MRTG in adition to Nagios to monitor a net. I Know
> there's a pluggin called check_mrtgtrafg which will allow me to
> monitor bandwith.

Ok, I do the same thing with hobbit and bbmrtg.pl.  Several thousand
targets.

>  It appears read in the log that can write mrtg, but reading the
> configuration i have several questions:
>
> i have to do
> cfgmaker --global 'WorkDir: /home/httpd/mrtg'  \
>           --global 'Options[_]: bits,growright' \
>           --output /home/mrtg/cfg/mrtg.cfg    \
>            community at router.abc.xyz
> for every device i want to monitor, have i?

Yes.  I store all of my devices in a database and generate the cfgmaker
lines, along with appropriate templates for each type of device.

> comunity is public or private

best practice is not to use "public" and "private", as snmp provides
amazingly detailed network reconnaissance to an attacker.  In my
network, all of the snmp credentials are unique, and we change a few
every day.  All of that is tracked in the database...

> router.abc.xyz is the IP of the router

dns names are more scalable.  If you are monitoring more than a few
routers, it makes sense to set up a loopback interface on each one and
use that as the target.

> but if i want to monitor the bandwith various ports of a switch, how
> could do it?

Same way.

> MRTG only allows to monitor a device at time?

No, the default cfgmaker syntax only generates one device config at a
time.  I monitor over 500 devices every polling interval with a single
mrtg process.  The include: directive is your friend in this regard.

> In which format it logs datas?

rrdtool is more efficient for larger deployments.

> If i change 0,5,10,15,20,25,30,35,40,45,50,55 * * * * \
> for 0,1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9**********  would i get the statistics
> everyminute?
If you set Interval: 1 and let mrtg create new .rrd files, yes.

--
Daniel J McDonald, CCIE #2495, CISSP #78281, CNX
Austin Energy