[mrtg] mrtg-rdd question

Alex van den Bogaerdt alex at ergens.op.het.net
Wed Dec 26 15:38:53 CET 2007

On Wed, Dec 26, 2007 at 03:20:49PM +0100, Pili Muñoz Gargallo wrote:
> Hi all,
> May be i will ask a nonsense but i have a question about if it is possible
> the use of  MRTG  + RRD  being able to preserve the log format of MRTG...
> I use the logformat of MRTG to use a funtion in Nagios that allowme to
> monitor bandwith, but i didn't find out how Nagios  could draw the evolution
> of the measurements... I was told about routers2.cgi that could solve the
> problem, but if it switches the files .log  to files.rrd i am not able to
> still monitoring to generate alarms...
> i have tried to put  an inlude:mymrtg2.cfg at the bottom of the file, and in
> this second one make the logformat would be rrdtool.. i replaced the name of
> the target aswell, hoping the second .cfg file would generate its own _rrd
> with the name of the target.. i mean
> target[router1_1] would genetate router1_1.rrd?
>
> what i am trying to ask is:
> if i am logging the results of MRTG and in several file.cfg i want to log
> with rrd but not all.. Could be it possible?

You can run two instances of MRTG, one of them using MRTG logfiles and
the other RRDtool. Do not use include, this would just mean two cfg files
for one instance of MRTG.

Besides: most functions you can do with MRTG, you can also do with RRDtool
and related programs.  Why wouldn't you be able to generate alarms? Maybe
it needs to be done using a different approach but it will be possible.

I do not know all ins and outs of nagios, routers2 and what more, but I'm
sure others on this list can help you out.

my 2c
--
Alex van den Bogaerdt
http://www.vandenbogaerdt.nl/rrdtool/