[mrtg] MRTG (Daemon Mode) Crashing

Israel Brewster israel at frontierflying.com
Tue Jul 3 00:37:15 CEST 2007

I sent this from the wrong account last time, so I'm not sure if it
got through. My apologies if this ends up being a duplicate.
I am running MRTG 2.12.2 in daemon mode with RRD logging on OpenBSD
4.0, and I am experiencing a problem where every so often it randomly
crashes and has to be restarted, particularly when one or more of the
routers it is monitoring goes down. For the most part I am using only
simple configs generated by config maker, and monitoring Linksys and
Cisco routers. I have tried compiling and running the latest version
as well, but if anything that version was even more crash prone. The
mrtg.log file shows the following each time it crashes:

2007-06-30 16:32:36 -- List::Util object version 1.18 does not match
bootstrap parameter 1.19 at /usr/libdata/perl5/i386-openbsd/5.8.8/
XSLoader.pm line 94.
2007-06-30 16:32:36 -- *** Restarting after 10 seconds in an attempt
to recover from the error above
2007-06-30 16:32:53 -- Started mrtg with config '/etc/mrtg/main.cfg'
2007-06-30 16:32:57 -- ERROR: I Quit! Another copy of mrtg seems to
be running. Check /var/run/mrtg.pid

This was the same both for the 2.12.2 version, as well as the current
latest. Between crashes, which can be anywhere from just a couple of
minutes, to couple of days or more, everything works fine. What can I
do to fix the error? Thanks.

Israel Brewster
Computer Support Technician
Frontier Flying Service Inc.