[mrtg] Monitor Exchange 2003 related counters

Steve Shipway s.shipway at auckland.ac.nz
Mon Jun 11 04:45:22 CEST 2007

(I'm still replying to the list because I think this can help other people who may be watching).

>Do I need to reboot my Exchange server or restart any Exchange related >services when I install this nsclient+++ or pnsclient?

In theory no, however it depends if Exchange has taken the tcp/1248 port.  If it has, then you will need to restart the Exchange services so that it frees this port up.  You should not need a reboot though.  You can check to see if the port is in use by running 'telnet localhost 1248' from a command line and seeing if you get a 'connection refused'.  If you do, then the port is free.

>You mentioned about the TCP port and that nsclient has to be started first
>(before exchange) to function.

This is because sometimes Exchange will steal the 1248 port before NSClient can bind to it.  If you make the registry setting so that Exchange grabs higher ports (eg, 20000 and upwards) then this is not a problem.

>BTW: Which Exchange service use TCP port 1248?

Exchange will start to allocate temporary ports starting at 1024 and continue upwards, mopping up any free ports it finds.

>I can maybe set a dependency on this service to have nsclient start first.

A better solution is to configure Exchange to start allocating temporary ports at 20000.  You do this with a simple registry setting, but I can't remember the exact name.

Steve