[mrtg] Rateup Args/Docs?

William Owen William.Owen at profilesmail.com
Wed Nov 14 15:30:55 CET 2007

I had a similar requirement to store long term data for an application
yet still produce MRTG like graphs in my Routers2 front-end for
consistency.  To solve this, (mind you I'm using RRDTool as a back-end),
I update to SQL and then to a batch update of the last X (I do it
hourly) directly to RRDTool to sync the two and for graphing purposes.
This means that the data in RRDTool is a little behind real-time, but
for my purposes, this is acceptable.  You then create phantom MRTG
configuration files (they are valid except that the target line contents
are irrelevant and you never actually call it with MRTG) that your
front-end uses to graph the data.