[mrtg] mrtg does not work on certain switch port

Daniel J McDonald dan.mcdonald at austinenergy.com
Tue Oct 30 18:28:14 CET 2007

On Tue, 2007-10-30 at 09:50 -0700, Khoa Nguyen wrote:
> hi,
> I have myself into troubles with MRTG over 3COM 4250T switch. First of
> all, mrtg running to monitor 3 different switch ports. One is for the
> total traffic of the network, the other 2 are for individual
> sub-network.
> 1. The graph for port 1 seems to be "inverted". Green now is for IN
> and BLUE now is OUT. How can I fix this?

Remember that it is from the view of the switch, so it may appear
backwards.  You can change it by adding a - to the target, e.g:
target[router_port1]: -1:foo at router.ip.address:::::2

> I have checked through mrtg.cfg. Things look fine.
> 2. The graph for port 1 (eventhough inverted) still reflects correct
> network activity, 1 big peak. However, port 2 does not, it's all flat.
> Port 3 does show activity but does not contain the peak. is there
> something wrong with MRTG?

Not likely

> or the switch itself.

Maybe not.  Perhaps it is traffic that is destined for a network that
you don't have, or don't have a route to, or perhaps you have an access
list that is restricting it.  Not knowing your particular configuration,
I couldn't really say.