[mrtg] How to setup the mrtg for monitoring more things

McDonald, Dan Dan.McDonald at austinenergy.com
Sat Aug 16 13:56:27 CEST 2008

On Sat, 2008-08-16 at 19:25 +0800, Shuk Pong Leong wrote:
> 2008/8/16, McDonald, Dan <Dan.McDonald at austinenergy.com>:
>         On Sat, 2008-08-16 at 15:56 +0800, Shuk Pong Leong wrote:

>         > 1, During the testing, there are some problem for asking :
>         > 1.1 How to create the index.html file for browser which
>         hyper link for
>         > measuring / monitoring which device ?
>
>         there should be a script called indexmaker.
>
> Is there sample command line for creating ?

indexmaker --output=index.html mrtg.cfg

See http://oss.oetiker.ch/mrtg/doc/indexmaker.en.html

>         > 1.2 How to output the daily grah every 15 mins ?
>         why?  It only rolls up 30-minute averages....
>
> By default, it ouput the daily graph every 5 mins...

Oh, right.  I was thinking about the weekly graph.

> So, how to re-config the mrtg, then output the graph every 15 mins ?
Add an Interval: statement to your config:

Interval: 15

See  http://oss.oetiker.ch/mrtg/doc/mrtg-reference.en.htm and search for
Interval

>         > 1.3 How to detect the following info ?
>         > 1.3.1 SNMP port number
>         > 1.3.2 SNMPOID
>         > 1.3.3 read-only SNMP community string
>
>         Sorry, we are not hackers.  That information should be
>         provided by the
>         network administrator.
>
> Sorry, my means is :
> http://oss.oetiker.ch/mrtg/doc/mrtg-nt-guide.en.html
> CONFIGURING MRTG
> Now it is time to create a configuration for MRTG. But before we begin
> you need to know a few things. Take an opportunity to gather the
> following information:
>
>       * The IP address or hostname and the SNMP port number, (if non
>         standard), of the device you want to monitor.
>       * If you want to monitor something other than bytes in and out,
>         you must also know the SNMPOID of what you want to monitor.
>       * Finally you need to know the read-only SNMP community string
>         for your device. If you don't know it, try public, that is the
>         default.
> So, I want to know how to get the info of SNMP ?

I have no idea, since I don't run windows.  There are 5 or 6 common 3rd
party snmp agents for windows, in addition to the really nasty one that
Microsoft provides, that are all configured differently.  I have no idea
which one you are using or how you would configure it.

> > 2, How to setup ( config ) the mrtg for measuring ( monitoring ) the
> > following hardware usage ( used ) percentage ?
> > 2.1 CPU usage persentage.
>
> That really depends on the platform.  But I have a template that tends
> to work ok for Windows 2000 using the built-in snmp agent.  If you
> have
> some other agent, there is no telling...
>

> Sorry, the script files seems running with Linux / Unix System,
> right ?

cfgmaker has a --host-template option that allows you to use perl-based
templates.  There is one path (to the host-resources-mib) that is
posix-like, but if you change that to a windows-like path and the file
is there, then it should work fine on any platform.

from http://oss.oetiker.ch/mrtg/doc/cfgmaker.en.html
--host-template=templatefile
                   In addition to creating targets for a host's interfaces
                   do also create targets for the host itself as specified
                   by the contents in the file templatefile.  The file is
                   supposed to contain Perl code to be executed to generate
                   the lines for the host related targets (such as CPU,
                   ping response time measurements etc.) in the config-
                   uration file.
                   (Experimental, under development, might change)

--
Daniel J McDonald, CCIE #2495, CISSP #78281, CNX
Austin Energy