[mrtg] Problem to get OID/MIB for collision packets

McDonald, Dan Dan.McDonald at austinenergy.com
Mon Nov 17 13:44:40 CET 2008

On Mon, 2008-11-17 at 01:31 +1200, alan cheng wrote:
> Hello,
> Currently i am in progress to setting up our MRTG to monitor our
> Big-IP Load balancer and Nokia IPSO IP380 firewall, my problem is
> while i looking for the Packet collision OIDs for these devices using
> Getif MIB browser, i can't find any symbolic name or OID in these
> devices, even though i try to do searching using a keyword such as
> "packet" or "collision" in the MIBs text file, i still not able to
> locate the OIDs which associated to this monitoring item,sound like
> there is no packet collision OID existed in these devices, anyone have
> any idea on how can i get a correct OIDs to monitor this item ?

Why are you running half-duplex connections that would require
collisions?  Full-duplex ethernet has worked pretty well since it was
standardized in 1998.  And even if you were running half-duplex
connections, why would you care about a flow-control method?  The myth
that collisions were bad has been thoroughly debunked now that there are
no token-ring sales-weasels[1] to stir the pot every now and again.

But, if the device is going to support the counters, it would be in the
ETHERLIKE-MIB, with symbolic names of:
dot3StatsSingleCollisionFrames,
dot3StatsMultipleCollisionFrames,
dot3StatsExcessiveCollisions,
dot3StatsLateCollisions,

--
Daniel J McDonald, CCIE #2495, CISSP #78281, CNX
Austin Energy

[1] - This is not to disparage weasels, which appear to be reasonably
friendly rodents.