[mrtg] totals do not add up when graphing multiple targets

Steve Shipway s.shipway at auckland.ac.nz
Thu Feb 12 22:33:09 CET 2009

> What I'm doing is graphing all active interfaces (as per the default
> cfgmaker configuration), and I added a totals graph which is simply
> something like that:
> 1:community at ip + 2:community at ip + 3:community at ip ..
> This works perfectly in normal circumstances. However at night when some
> backups run all of a sudden the totals no longer add up - even just

Counter rollover.  Calculated targets are very prone to this problem and not
recommended for high-volume counters.

The Routers2 frontend can do this for you by defining a userdefined graph
totalling three separate MRTG Targets and so is immune to the problem (at
least, until you reach about 140Mbps on a single Target), and as a bonus you
can see the component lines in the graph.

Steve, self-promoting again