[mrtg] "Digital" format graphs

Steve Shipway s.shipway at auckland.ac.nz
Wed Jan 7 21:55:52 CET 2009

I’m guessing you’ve upgraded from RRDtool 1.0.x to RRDtool 1.2.x or 1.3.x?
Or else upgraded to the latest MRTG in Native mode which has the 1.2.x
underlying engine?

Under RRD 1.0.x, the smoothed lines were the default (and only) option.
>From 1.2.x, the default was to use the more stepped display, more accurately
reflecting the granularity of the data.  However, ‘smooth’ mode was also
made available in case you prefer the old system (as I do).

The routers2 frontend for MRTG/RRD will support the smotth type graphs if
you put ‘smooth=yes’ in the routers2.conf.  I don’t know about the other
frontends such as 14all and mrtg-rrd but I think they don’t.  In Native mode
(IE, without RRDtool) I think you have to be content with what you’re given.

Technically, the new style stepped graphs are more accurate, and indicate
correctly the values and granularity.  They only lose aesthetically

Steve

  _____