[mrtg] multi-context templates

McDonald, Dan Dan.McDonald at austinenergy.com
Mon Mar 2 22:37:55 CET 2009

On Tue, 2009-03-03 at 10:19 +1300, Steve Shipway wrote:
> > So, by changing the named context in snmp, I get information about
> > interfaces associated with different contexts.  While most of the
> > interesting mibs will be in the host template, I don't know how to
> > signal to cfgmaker that these additional interfaces exist, and need to
> > be monitored (and named, since they are not necessarily unique).
>
> I don't know of any way for the host template to add extra things to the
> list to be processed by the interface template, since this list is populated
> by walking the ifIndex - which should still pick these up.

Nope.  Each context has its own ifIndex table.  They are not visible
when using a different named context.

> You can, though, write the interface template to change the behaviour in
> these cases.  Maybe make the interface template identify when a selected
> interface is one of these, and then it can signal that the interface should
> be kept after all, and can override the default descriptions etc by pulling
> the correct descriptions from the cmVirtContextRowStatus?

interface templates only fire for each interface that is found.  Since
these are not found I'm going to have to hack cfgmaker to make this go.

If I can make it work, the same principles are used in FWSM with
contexts, and VRF/MPLS routers.  Of course, I have to have time to work
on it...  I had about an hour this morning, and have been non-stop
5-deep in weeds the rest of the day....

> It seems to me that this would be better put in the interface template
> rather than the host template;

Would, if interface templates knew how to probe for more stuff.  But I
have to put a bunch of logic into the host template to get the
concurrent sessions, bytes moved per realserver, and cetera.

> you can have one of each at the same time of
> course

Naturally.

--
Daniel J McDonald, CCIE #2495, CISSP #78281, CNX
Austin Energy