[mrtg] Baystack 450's and "Port Name:"

Brett Charbeneau brett at wrl.org
Thu Sep 3 17:17:14 CEST 2009

Folks,

  	I'd be very grateful for any responses and/or nudges in the right
direction! First, specifics: MRTG 2.16.2, Kernel 2.6.26, on Debian 5.0.2, and
the device in question supports SNMP v2.
  	I've scoured Google and the archives for this list and have come up
empty-handed - please pardon me if this has been asked before!
  	I've got a handful of Baystack 450-24T stacks on my network and
I'm running into two issues:

  	1. Operationally down interfaces continue to be commented out in the
  	config file even though I'm using the "--show-op-down" option with
  	cfgmaker.

  	2. I can't seem to get what appears in the "Port Name:" field
  	(which can be customized by the admin) to wind up in the config file
  	as "Description".

  	In both cases I'm using a derivation of this command to create the
config file:

/usr/bin/cfgmaker --global 'WorkDir: /var/www/mrtg/wl-sw-room' \
   --global 'Options[_]: bits,growright' --output /var/www/mrtg/cfg/wl-sw-room.cfg
public at XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX --show-op-down

  	In the first case, I'm just stumped - "--show-op-down" doesn't seem to
work the way I understand it. Should I simply edit the config file manually to
remove the hash marks?
  	In the latter case I've tried:

--ifref=name

--ifdesc=alias
--ifdesc=descr
--ifdesc=name
--ifdesc=ppname
--ifdesc=type

  	and invariably the what ends up in the html "Description" field is
"BayStack---module-1,-port-1" and not the custom entry in the Baystack's "Port
Name:" field.
  	Anyone out there successfully able to get the custom entry to show up in
the config file for these switches?

Brett Charbeneau, GSEC Gold, GCIH Gold
Network Administrator
Williamsburg Regional Library