[mrtg] Monitoring CPU Utilization on a CentOS Machine

Max Hetrick maxhetrick at verizon.net
Thu Sep 24 21:08:54 CEST 2009

Matt Baer wrote:
 > I love how I can scour the internet for 2 weeks trying to find the
 > answer and all I had to do was ask the right people.  That worked, thank
 > you very much.
 >
 > Now, for the n00b questions.  SNMP is worse than programming to me, it
 > doesn't make sense and I am way too ADD to be able to sit down and
 > figure it out.
 >
 > Where can I find these OIDs?  I have Zimbra on that same machine and I'd
 > like to monitor much more stuff.

Yeah, SNMP can be a bear to work with. What helped me learn and get
things set up was a book title Essential SNMP from O'Reilly media. I'd
suggest picking up a copy. It's the best reference I found to help me
learn SNMP.

http://oreilly.com/catalog/9780596000202/

To get started, I have written a guide to help people get started using
SNMP. It's a bit old, and I haven't updated it in awhile, but the basic
principals apply.

http://www.maxsworld.org/index.php/how-tos/snmp

 > I noticed that the title reads "2 CPUs".  Is it a problem that the
 > machine only has one CPU?  I tacked the same method on to localhost
 > which is a dual core and the graphs look the same so I'm curious as to
 > which line stands for what.

No, my machine example I gave you has two CPUs, but it won't matter if
you have one.

Regards,
Max