[mrtg] "[ERROR: This RRD was created on another architecture] "

Steve Shipway s.shipway at auckland.ac.nz
Sat Aug 21 03:50:11 CEST 2010

RRD files are not (yet) portable between architectures, although Tobi has indicated that this is planned in a future version of RRDTool (v1.5 maybe?)

This means between big- and little- endian, or between 32 and 64 bit.  So, you cannot copy an RRD file between Windows and Linux (for example), or between 32bit Linux and 64bit linux.  There is even potentially a differrence depending on what C compiler was used to compile the rrdtool binary although this is unlikely.

Also, there is no forwards-compatibility between the RRD files generated by v1.0.x and later versions -- IE, an old 1.0.x RRDTool cannot read an RRD file generated by a 1.2.x RRDTool.

The only way to convert the files is to do an RRDtool export and then import the XML data to create a new RRD file on the target machine.  This is relatively simple, and uses the 'rrdtool export' and 'rrdtool import' functions (see the rrdtool manual for details).

Steve

Steve Shipway
University of Auckland ITS
UNIX Systems Design Lead
s.shipway at auckland.ac.nz<mailto:s.shipway at auckland.ac.nz>
Ph: +64 9 373 7599 ext 86487

From: mrtg-bounces+s.shipway=auckland.ac.nz at lists.oetiker.ch [mrtg-bounces+s.shipway=auckland.ac.nz at lists.oetiker.ch] on behalf of Jan Ferré [Jan.Ferre at uni-c.dk]

Now the display doesn't show me graphs - instead it tells me the RRD was
created on another architecture. But _which_ architecture? Is it the
hardware/cpu? Is it a 32/64 bit problem? Or simply a RRDtool problem
with the differrent versions?

If it's the later - will my datafiles get lost if upgrading the collector?