[mrtg] graphing cisco virtual interface/PPPoE users

Jan Ferré Jan.Ferre at uni-c.dk
Tue Feb 2 10:15:33 CET 2010

Hi Patrice

I suggest you make your own cfgmaker:
    Make a list of all possible interfaces/ifnumbers on the router
    Retrieve the descriptions/ifalias
    Set up your mrtg configs

This can fairly easily be done in e.g. perl and I would expect you to
run the script before each run of mrtg - even if this might make messy
datafiles. Like ... one session ends with 40 mill bytes transferred -
the next session starts at zero. Will this make mrtg have problems?

Best regards

Jan Ferré

Patrice Blot - FCNET wrote:

> Hi all,
>

> I browsed through the whole archive but could not find any solution to
> my problem.
>

> I try to find a way to graph cisco dynamic interfaces (used for pppoe
> ADSL users).(7206VXR)
>

> Unfortunately each time a user make a connection the interface number
> change as interface name,description and IP change too.
>

> With cisco AV-pair radius values it’s possible to change the alias
> (named “description” in cisco) at connection time of the dynamic
> virtual-access interface with for example the login of the user.
>

> MRTG can refer interface with number, ip, mac address, description,
> name, type, but not with alias (ifalias). But MRTG can use alias for
> description (--ifdesc=alias) so it can read it. And in my case
> cfgmaker gives the user login in description as expected but cannot
> refer target to it.
>

> I was unable to make mrtg reference to alias of interface.
>

> Did I miss something ?
>

> Thanks !
>

> Patrice

Jan Ferré - UNI-C Netdrift - DTU Bygning 304, DK-2800 Lyngby
tlf. +45 3587 8935, cell. +45 2160 8012, fax. +45 3587 8990
EAN-no.: 5798000555198