[mrtg] mrtg not updating

Steve Shipway s.shipway at auckland.ac.nz
Thu Feb 25 01:57:28 CET 2010

> SNMPGET: Failed to reach target: "7:public at 168.156.193.129". I tried
> multiple times! public at 168.156.193.129

Here's your problem; the SNMP query is failing.

Check that:
1) the community string is correct (this is the usual problem)
2) the host/device is up
3) there is no firewall in the way blocking snmp packets
4) there is no ACL on the device preventing you
5) the IP address is reachable (try a ping)
6) if there is heavy network use, you may be dropping packets.  Increase timeout and backoff, and the number of retries (this is done with the parameters after the hostname in the Target definition, see the manual)

Steve