[mrtg] Display downloading speed of webpage using MRTG.

Steve Shipway s.shipway at auckland.ac.nz
Wed Nov 3 21:55:53 CET 2010

> From: mrtg-bounces+s.shipway=auckland.ac.nz at lists.oetiker.ch
> [mailto:mrtg-bounces+s.shipway=auckland.ac.nz at lists.oetiker.ch] On
> Behalf Of Vincent Thong
> My project is to calculate website downloading time such as yahoo.com
> and display it in a graph.

MRTG can do this, though you need a data collection plugin.  We do this for several websites here.

> I was told that MRTG can draw the graph with the custom script.
> But I am yet to learn how to put the value of my script to the MRTG.

Yes it can. Check the documentation; an MRTG data collection plugin must exit with status 0, and output four lines of text:

1111\n2222\n\n\n

Where 1111 is the inbound value, and 2222 is the outbound value.  In your case, you'd need to use option 'gauge' to prevent rate calculations.  Use the construct

Target[xxxx]: `myscriptname`

To hook in the plugin.

This is in the MRTG documentation on www.mrtg.org

> Another question here, MRTG needs a router?
> As for my case, I just want to display my calculation in a graph.
> I have a server but no router.
> Can I achieve my project with this MRTG?

You can do this with MRTG.  A router is not required, its just that MRTG was originally written to graph router interface traffic.

Steve

Steve Shipway
ITS Unix Services Design Lead
University of Auckland, New Zealand
Floor 1, 58 Symonds Street, Auckland
Phone: +64 (0)9 3737599 ext 86487
DDI: +64 (0)9 924 6487
Mobile: +64 (0)21 753 189
Email: s.shipway at auckland.ac.nz
 Please consider the environment before printing this e-mail