[mrtg] Copying mrtg from one machine to another...

Arvon Griffiths Arvon.Griffiths at txdot.gov
Wed Oct 27 15:04:28 CEST 2010

Our running copy of MRTG (2.12.2) doesn't have rrdtool or routers2 (AFAIK).

Q1: Could I install rrdtool and routers2 as I would normally and then just run the new MRTG executables from a user dir?
Q2:  Would adding RRDTool and Routers2 mess up the working MRTG 2.12.2?

>This should be possible; however, you may need to
>
>1)      Change the routers2.conf to reflect the newlocations
> of the files, possibly also adding a LibAdd for the RRDTool
> perl librayr location
>
>2)      Maybe change/add a LibAdd: to the MRTG configuration
> file to specify new RRDTool library location
>
>3)      If you have the MRTG and/or RRDTool libraries
> installed into the site_perl location you will certainly
> need ot be very careful about adding the required LibAdd
> definitions
>
>4)      If moving routers2, don’t forget that you will also
> need copy the rrdicons directory and re-create the graphs
> directory under your docroot with the appropriate
> permissions
>
>We have separate installations of 3 versions of MRTG and 4
> versions of RRDTool (and also 4 versions of Routers2) on
> our dev box here, so it can work, although as I mentioned
> you need to be very careful you’re getting the right Perl
> libraries.

Texas Transportation Forum
www.texastransportationforum.com