[mrtg] using external data to populate MRTG in a windows enviroment

Sanjeev sanjeev.chaddha at talktalk.net
Thu Jan 6 12:34:07 CET 2011

Hi, I am trying to monitor the number of calls recorded on a server, I have
managed to extract data to a text file which complies with the MRTG external
source format. The data below is an example of a text file

102
102
geonbsvr2a
Verint Call Recording

I have then created a mrtg config file as shown below

RunAsDaemon: yes
WorkDir: e:\www\mrtg
Options[_]: bits,unknaszero
EnableIPv6: no

Target[geonbsvr2a]: `more c:\mrtg-2.16.4\bin\verint\geonbsvr2amrtg.txt`
Maxbytes[geonbsvr2a]: 390
Ylegend[geonbsvr2a]: Calls Recorded
ShortLegend[geonbsvr2a]: Calls
LegendI[geonbsvr2a]: Calls
LegendO[geonbsvr2a]: Calls
Title[geonbsvr2a]: Call recording on geonbsvr2a
PageTop[geonbsvr2a]:<H1>Verint Call Recording geonbsvr2a</H1>
<TABLE>
   <TR><TD>System: geonbsvr2a</TD></TR>
   <TR><TD></TD><TD></TD></TR>
  </TABLE>

Options[geonbsvr2a]: gauge

However when I run the perl script e.g. perl mrtg verint.cfg i just get 0
output in the log file. even though the input file has data. Can you assist?