[mrtg] TrafGrapher - interactive multiple MRTG data in one graph

Steve Shipway s.shipway at auckland.ac.nz
Tue Apr 28 23:37:35 CEST 2015

First of all, it's good to see a new frontend that has more interactivity -
the Routers2 interface is still a bit stuck in the last decade, and the
Native-mode interface is very basic.  Also, this is (as far as I know) the
first improved and interactive interface for Native-mode MRTG that has ever
been produced.  Routers2 originally avoided Javascript in order to be as
compatible as possible with mobile devices (many of which were monochrome or
had no javascript support); but nowadays, this is not an issue and the next
generation of frontends for MRTG should be making the most of DHTML, CSS and
so on.

However, I need to also join the chorus saying - what about RRDTool?  Although
the majority of small MRTG installations likely use native mode (.log files),
the medium to large installations have long since moved to RRDTool as their
backend.  The main reason for this is the Disk IO efficiency - you simply
cannot monitor thousands of metrics using native-mode as the IO is way too
large.  As you head to the tens of thousands, you need RRDCached+RRDTool to be
workable. Native mode has no chance.

I really think that you need to consider making your system also support the
RRDTool backend (which may in fact be simpler as RRDTool already has export
capability).  Then you'll have a winner.

Steve

(Full disclosure -- yes, I wrote Routers2, so I could be seen as owning a
competing project to this, but I've tried to be impartial)

Steve Shipway
UNIX Design Team Lead
University of Auckland, New Zealand
s.shipway at auckland.ac.nz