[mrtg] Able to ping but not snmpwalk

Steve Shipway s.shipway at auckland.ac.nz
Wed May 27 23:38:00 CEST 2015

A 'no such instance' means that you're talking with an SNMP daemon, but it
doesn't have the data you're asking for.

This might be for several reasons -

.         Maybe you have your SNMP ACLs configured to deny that OID to the
connecting community?

.         Maybe this OID really does not exist on this device?

.         Maybe you have mis-typed the OID and are not asking for what you
think you are asking for?

Of course a ping will work, as that is just and ICMP echo request, and you
know that the host is up (since you're getting a sane response back from the
SNMP daemon).  'ping' checks an ICMP response at the Transport layer.
'snmpwalk' queries the SNMP daemon at Application level.

Steve

Steve Shipway

 <mailto:s.shipway at auckland.ac.nz> s.shipway at auckland.ac.nz

(GNU Terry Pratchett)