[rrd-developers] rrdtool configure problem/question

lists at ripper.informatik.uni-ulm.de lists at ripper.informatik.uni-ulm.de
Fri Mar 24 18:22:04 MET 2000

Hi!

I'm trying to install rrdtool on Solaris 2.6. I get many warnings about the
compiler option '-fPIC' unknown.

1. the situation

I use a Sun compiler ("WorkShop Compilers 5.0 98/12/15 C 5.0"), not gcc.
configure tests wether -fPIC is supported by the compiler. I thought this is
a gcc specific option? The test wether gcc is used says 'no' right before
the test for -fPIC:

  checking if we can use GCC-specific compiler options... no
  checking if we can use -fPIC as this may help building the perl
         module... yes

Some lines before configure says:

  checking for cc option to produce PIC... -KPIC
  checking if cc PIC flag -KPIC works... yes

which is the right compiler option.

Checking the perl-shared Makefile (from 'perl Makefile.PL') I found that
perl (i.e. ExtUtils::MakeMaker) knows the right option too.

2. the questions

- Should configure test for -fPIC if the compiler is not gcc?
- Should configure let perl set the right compiler options? - it looks to me
  as this test for -fPIC is just for perl-shared ...

One more: the perl-shared module wont compile with perl-5.6.0 (linker error,
something about unknown symbol 'na'). Any clue? Can I tell configure/make to
use a different perl executable?

Rainer
Rainer.Bawidamann at informatik.uni-ulm.de