[rrd-developers] Re: [patch] gfx/graph fixes for imgformat in

Tobias Oetiker oetiker at ee.ethz.ch
Wed Apr 3 23:48:00 MEST 2002

Today Alex van den Bogaerdt wrote:

> > > Could be as simple as '#RRGGBBAADD' where DD is a ratio similar to the
> > > other elements, DD==0xFF meaning solid line just as AA==0xFF means no
> > > opacity and RR==0xFF means 100% red.
> >
> > such a ratio defines the ratio of short vs long dashes but not
> > their frequency ...
>
> Er, oh, yeah.  You want to be able to do '*-------*-------' and
> '****----------------------------****----------------------------'
> IOW set both the frequency and the duty cycle.
>
> I was thinking about a fixed (or rather: programmer selected) frequency
> and a user defined duty cycle.  The grid for instance is something that
> has properties the user doesn't need know about (unless --x-grid and such
> are set by the user) so IMHO it is the program that needs to calculate a
> proper frequency.  Unless of course the frequency is based on some line
> property such as the size of each horizontal segment between two adjacent
> vertical lines.
>
> Oh well.  s/#RRGGBBAADD/\[#RRGGBB[AA[DD[FF]]]]/
> And while we're at it maybe even:
> s/#RRGGBBAADD/\[#RRGGBB[AA[DD[FF[WW]]]]]/ where WW stands for
> the line width if apropriate (noop for AREA and alike).  This in
> stead of the x in LINEx, usable also for grid lines, the frame, the arrow,
> and whatever I forgot to mention.
>
> Perhaps it is time to allow for something such as:
>
> #(RRGGBB[AA[DD[FF[WW]]]]|[[r]RR][[g]GG][[b]BB][[aAA][[d]DD][[f]FF][[w]WW])
> where you should read [[a]AA] as [[ "a" ] <AA> ] and so on.
> The resulting modifier could then be:  "#gFFw03" meaning a solid,
> not-dashed green line of width 3.  Line widths are specified as a
> two-digit hex number just for easy parsing, a line width of 0xFF
> clearly is something that should not be asked by a user.

Alex,

because the color property is something which applies to areas as
well as lines while the dashing and the width applies only to
lines, I don't think that adding everything into the color tag is a
sensible approach ...

any other ideas ?

how about a special line width definition eg  Width_On_Off
so LINE3_1_2 would be a line like this:

width 3 and an on off pattern of 1 on and 2 off ...

the same could syntax could be introduced in the grid option ...

--
/_  __/_  / /  (_) Oetiker, ETZ J97, ETH, 8092 Zurich, Switzerland