[rrd-developers] Re: Problem with perl (RRDs::graph) on XP, using Jun 10 snapshot

Calvert, Kerry kerry.calvert at intel.com
Mon Jun 17 22:47:29 MEST 2002

Jake,

I believe there is a problem with memory allocation that must be caused by
the interaction of the .Net build of RRD, the ActiveState build of Perl, and
the makefile build of RRDs.dll.  I haven't been able to pinpoint the issue,
but I have a solution that seems better that just not freeing the memory.

I've added a function to RRD that is just a free statement. I've changed the
free statements in RRDS.XS that free memory allocated by RRD to use this new
function.  The memory that is allocated in the RRDS.XS code is freed using
the plain free statement.  This makes the module that allocated memory the
one that frees it, thus bypassing compile and link problems.

After installing the new RRDs, my Cricket PERFMON section works just fine.

What should I do with these changes? I only have the one XP installation,
and I have no knowledge of how this might affect other systems.

Kerry Calvert
Software Sustaining Engineer
Intel Corp.
Hillsboro, OR