[rrd-developers] Re: Developing against librrd

David Olsen lude at linuxpimpz.com
Wed Jan 22 23:32:35 MET 2003

On 2003-01-22-17:22:00, Stanislav Sinyagin <ssinyagin at yahoo.com> wrote:

> Hi David,
>
> off the topic: why at all do you need a new SNMP collector,
> and why in C?
>
> If you're concerned about Perl performance, there's a solution:
> David M. Town's Net::SNMP module gives a very good performance,
> if used properly. It sends out as many UDP packets as possible,
> asynchronously collecting the responces.
>
> I used to collect interface counters from 150 backbone devices,
> and the collector run cycle lasted less than 1 minute, including the
> time of writing the RRD files. This is used in my http://rrfw.sourceforge.net
>
> Regards,
> Stan

The collector I'm writing is based on RTG. I've it polling over 1734 interface devices, in a matter of a few seconds.

[root at nina]# time ./rrdpoll
Polling 1734 interfaces...

real    0m4.563s
user    0m0.821s
sys     0m0.166s

RTG uses SQL to store the data, with this kind of beef, RRD stores the data much better, so we'd like to use it, unfortunately, we haven't been about to work around the library calls yet.

Best Regards,

David Olsen
ISPrime, Inc.
866.502.4678 ext. 87