[rrd-developers] Re: Creating a rrdtool alter command

Igor Sfiligoi Igor.Sfiligoi at lnf.infn.it
Wed Mar 10 19:07:02 MET 2004

Hi Jake.

As I have said in the beginning, this is just a first step.
I need to add the other functionality.

Right now I am working on the 1.0.x version, but plan to port it to 1.1.x.

BTW, nobody has any suggestion on my original question?
---------------------
Adding a RRA is instead a little more tricky and I would like to have some
feedback.
I see essentially 2 problems:
1) When I have already several RRAs with the same consolidation function,
which one should I use?
The most obvious idea seems to be the use of the most fine grained when
possible and going on to the next grain only when needed.
Do you agree?

2) What should I do when a completly new consolidation function is requested?
I see two options here:
2a) leave all values UNKN
2b) get the values of another consolidation function

2a seems to be more correct.

What do you think?

Cheers,
  Igor