[rrd-developers] Re: BUG: attempt to put segment in horiz list twice ??

Tobias Oetiker oetiker at ee.ethz.ch
Tue Jul 26 23:50:49 MEST 2005

Hi Per,
no probably not, libart is quite picky what we expect it to graph
... I worked around this problem in releases up to 1.2.10 by giving
it only squares to draw ... lots of it ... this turned out to be
extreemly expensive ... in the 1.2.11 release I took a different
apporoach, where I try to make sure I only feed 'good' data to
libart ... obviously this is not the case in your 'case' ... if you
could produce a shell script and an rrd dump to reproduce the
problem, I might be able to help .. the smaller the graph the fewer
things on the graph the better ...

> I've just today moved from rrdtool 1.0.45 to the latest 1.2.11 - when I now try to graph
> over a timespan that contains both data logged with 1.0.45 and 1.2.11, I seem to get this
> error embedded in my PNG (which I write the stdout and present directly to a
> web-browser.)
> It is now 1855CET, the library was built at 1713CET, and I have no problem graphing the
> most recent 60 minutes (start=-1h), where as most recent 6 hours (start=-6h) seems to
> write 3-4 of these errors to stdout before it writes the png.  Also the last 24 hours
> don't work, whereas last 7days and last 30days work fine.
>
> I've grepped thru the rrdtool sources and no such message is being issued, which led me to
> suspect libart - and indeed art_svp_intersect.c does issue this message.
>
> #ifdef CHEAP_SANITYCHECK
>   if (seg->flags & ART_ACTIVE_FLAGS_IN_HORIZ)
>     {
>       art_warn ("*** attempt to put segment in horiz list twice\n");
>       return;
>     }
>   seg->flags |= ART_ACTIVE_FLAGS_IN_HORIZ;
> #endif
>

> Am I doing something wrong?
>

> /Per Jessen, Zürich
>

> --

/_  __/_  / /  (_) Oetiker @ ISG.EE, ETL F24.2, ETH, CH-8092 Zurich
 / // _ \/ _ \/ /  System Manager, Time Lord, Coder, Designer, Coach
/_/ \.__/_.__/_/   http://people.ee.ethz.ch/oetiker +41(0)44-632-5286