[rrd-developers] [rrd] Re: RRDtool to another level - add 3D and 4D capabilities -

Tobias Oetiker tobi at oetiker.ch
Mon Dec 15 19:40:30 CET 2008

Hi Stefan,

> > a good aproach would be to implement this independant of
> > rrd_graph
>
> yes, that was as well my idea. Im still stuck currently on some
> work but mainly these are the lines, Im thinking:
>
>  - API: use Cairo or OpenGL ? Cairo is a 2D libary AFAIK. So if I
> would need as well for future 3D primitives OpenGL comes handy.
> ... Any comments on this ? How can we integrate then rrd_graph with
> needed opengl bits - could we make this a ./configure option
> during the config stage ?

you have to consider how you expect people to look at the graphs.
If you manage with cairo, you get a nice abstract frontend for all
sorts of different output devices ...

if you are about to produces 3d animations or even models, then a
different aproach may be more suitable ... in general opengl
applications tend to be not 'the thing' one wants regarding
portability.