[rrd-developers] new features in RRDtool: add/delete DSs and RRAs in existing RRD base

Alex van den Bogaerdt alex at ergens.op.het.net
Fri May 9 16:28:12 CEST 2008

On Fri, May 09, 2008 at 03:41:59PM +0400, Bigunyak Dmitry wrote:
> Hello!
>
> I have tried to find solution how to add/remove data sources or RRA in
> existing RRD base in mailing list archive and saw many questions on this
> theme. With respect to data sources some peoples suggest to use script
> founded in the contrib directory as solution. This script works in next
> sequence: dumps RRD base in XML-file, then edits this file and finely
> restores new RRD base from it. I use this solution too, but I can?t say
> that this is a good approach, first of all because of its low performance.

If you're going to use the script only once, performance is not really
an issue in most cases.

If you need to use such a feature many times, chances are something's
wrong in other places, such as research&development, when designing
the database.

> In my opinion RRDtool needs to have its internal mechanism to solve this
> issue. But I havn?t found anything similar in plans for RRDtool 1.4. Why?

I can only guess: because you can create another database with the
same RRAs and such, containing the new DS.

--
Alex van den Bogaerdt
http://www.vandenbogaerdt.nl/rrdtool/