[rrd-developers] implementing portable format

Florian Forster rrdtool at nospam.verplant.org
Mon Nov 3 18:17:45 CET 2008

Hi Dan,

On Mon, Nov 03, 2008 at 11:42:27AM -0500, Dan Cech wrote:
> This doesn't make sense to me.  You're talking about sending a huge
> amount of data to the client vs generating the graph on the server
> (where you have the data already available) and just sending the
> graph.

I makes perfect sense to me and I think it's be absolutely awesome to
have something like that. Especially moving around in the graph (zooming
in/out, show an earlier/later timespan) will be much faster if the
client already has the data (because it was pre-fetched or cached or
something) and the server doesn't have to generate graphs over and over
again.

> Even if you want to generate the image itself client-side it would
> still make more sense to send only the source data required to the
> client.

Definitely. The HTTP allows for clients to only request part of a file.
If not a primary goal when developing something like this, in the long
run support for those ranges should be added.

Regards,
-octo

[0] <http://www.w3.org/Protocols/rfc2616/rfc2616-sec14.html#sec14.35>
--