[rrd-developers] [rrd] Why / How / When is version 1.2 developed?

Tobias Oetiker tobi at oetiker.ch
Wed Apr 8 07:03:05 CEST 2009

Hi Florian,

Today Florian Forster wrote:

> Hi Tobi,
>
> On Mon, Apr 06, 2009 at 05:11:25PM +0200, Tobias Oetiker wrote:
> > I would want to schedule this for 1.5 though and not rush it into 1.4
>
> I got asked today why 1.2 and 1.3 were developed in parallel. I was
> about to answer that only bugfixes went into 1.2 and 1.3 and new stuff
> goes into 1.4, but then learned that a new feature was added to 1.2.29.
> This kind of destroyed my argument, so I'd like to pass this question on
> to you.. ;)

Well there is theory and practice. The reason there was a feature
in 1.2.29 was that a company paid me to develop that feature and I
thought, that since it was there that there was no good reason to
keep it away from the world ...

in any event, I have no fundamental objections against including the
fetch stuff in 1.4 if we come to a good solution regarding the
things I mentioned, without further delaying 1.4 ... this does
include the authentication stuff ...