[rrd-developers] "UPDATEV" shim?

Tobias Oetiker tobi at oetiker.ch
Sat Jun 20 10:59:52 CEST 2009

Hi Kevin,

Yesterday kevin brintnall wrote:

> >>  - "FLUSH" the file, then operate directly on it (race condition with new
> >>    updates?)
> >
> > tis will have odd effects for people who assume update to be
> > working remotely ...
>
> True.  This is probably a better temporary solution:
>
> On "updatev", the server flushes an pending updates, then calls another
> rrd_update_r() to produce the output for "updatev".  It doesn't perform as
> well due to the frequent flushes, but it's an easy start.

that sounds reasonable ...

> > I would like to see this in 1.5 ... the 1.4rc does not seem to be
> > causing much of an echo, so I guess I will be releasing 1.4.0
> > sometime next week.
>
> Is it worth trying the above simplified "updatev" support in 1.4?  I don't
> know how common "updatev" is among users...

I don't know a use-case where people mix update and updatev ... as
updatev uses the rrd_info method, to return its data, it may be a
wee bit complex to make this work across rrdcached, so from my
point of view, a complaint from rrdtool updatev when called with
the daemon enabled would be all that is required ...