[rrd-developers] Longer DS names and ID3-like tags?

Mark Plaksin happy at usg.edu
Fri Jun 26 15:25:24 CEST 2009

Hi:

Any chance we can get longer DS names in RRD files?  Or maybe allow
arbitrary tags similar to those you can attach to audio files?

Seems like every big package that uses RRDs has to store a bunch of
metadata in an external database.  The metadata is used to put the right
lines and labels and such on the graphs (and probably other things).
Putting the metadata into a database means that the RRD files themselves
aren't portable.

It would be nice to be able to create graphing UI that can work with
*any* RRD files.  If RRD files could contain more metadata that would be
possible.  Of course everybody would have to actually store the metadata
in RRD files and maybe agree on some standard fields but I'm sure
everybody would :)