[rrd-developers] Introducing: java-rrd

Peter Stamfest peter at stamfest.at
Tue Sep 21 21:41:40 CEST 2010

Hello!

This is the first public release of java-rrd [1]. It is (yet another)
attempt on a java RRD interface. However, it uses the pipe interface to
the rrdtool proper. It is therefore similar to how the RRDp perl package
works. It has the additional advantage of being 100% compatible with the
rrdtool on whatever platform it is run on, because it uses the original
rrdtool.

It does not require the java native interface (JNI) which means that there
should be no stability problems due to any issues with that. This also
means that it provides for near native RRD performance, because the
rrdtool used is the native program. It actually often provides for higher
performance than a simple command-line use of rrdtool, because a running
rrdtool can be reused, thus saving process startup time.

java-rrd is modular enough to also allow the use of a *remote* rrdtool,
eg. one provided via an inetd or xinetd daemon, allowing for virtually
unlimited scalability via an unlimited number of hosts (this would require
some additional infrastructure).

It also includes a rrdcached client, which can be combined with the
rrdtool used as a backend.

Also note, that it supports the use of the graphv command, allowing for
access to the (binary) output of a rrdgraph call from java.

Unfortunately, the software is missing documentation and example programs.
It also misses support of most rrdtool commands, but adding them should be
quite simple.

Personally, I am using the software to e.g. serve RRD graphs from a java
servlet.

The license is the X11 license (basically BSD), in an attempt to provide
for a freely available, common java interface to rrdtool.

Development of java-rrd is done using mercurial. You can clone a repo from

        http://oss.stamfest.net/java-rrd-hg/

A tarball of the current state can be found at

        http://oss.stamfest.net/java-rrd/java-rrd-18.tar.gz

Any input/feedback is welcome. Patches are welcome. Documentation patches
are even more welcome.

peter

[1] but I guess somebody else has just had the same idea and has submitted
better code just a couple of days ago, and I didn't see it