[rrd-users] Re: bandwidth used this month

John Payne john at sackheads.org
Mon Nov 8 16:02:23 MET 1999

On Sun, Nov 07, 1999 at 07:19:26PM +0100, Tobias Oetiker wrote:
> Yesterday you sent me mail regarding [rrd-users] bandwidth used this month:
>
> *> Warning: Its 5am and my brain is overloaded on caffeine
> *>
> *> I guess this is more of a stats question than an RRDtool question,
> *> but there's an RRDtool specific question in there too :-)
> *>
> *> I'm collecting inOctets and outOctets and graphing bits/sec.
> *>
> *> How would I say "tell me how much bandwidth has been used since midnight
> *> on <blah>".
>
> create a graph for the relevant periode and use PRINT to return the average
> value of the data ... multiply this by the number of seconds which have
> elapsed over the periode ...

Unfortunately, this doesn't work if the data collection started half way through
the relevant period.

For example, If I want to find out how much each of my routers has transferred
since the beginning of the month I can quite easily figure out the number of
seconds since the start of the month and a PRINT can give me an average.
However, if the router is only enabled, say on the 10th, the average that PRINT
gives me seems to be calculated from the 10th to the end of the period so multiplying
that by the number of seconds would overestimate (in some cases quite badly) the
total amount of bandwidth used.

Cheers
John
John Payne      http://www.sackheads.org/jpayne/    john at sackheads.org
       Sarcasm by request                        Fax: +44 870 0547954
My mail provider doesn't welcome UBE -  http://www.sackheads.org/uce/
Euro-folk register in the spam-fight -  http://www.euro.cauce.org/