[rrd-users] Re: bandwidth used this month

Tobias Oetiker oetiker at ee.ethz.ch
Mon Nov 8 16:06:37 MET 1999

Today you sent me mail regarding Re: [rrd-users] bandwidth used this month:

*> On Sun, Nov 07, 1999 at 07:19:26PM +0100, Tobias Oetiker wrote:
*> > Yesterday you sent me mail regarding [rrd-users] bandwidth used this month:
*> >
*> > *> Warning: Its 5am and my brain is overloaded on caffeine
*> > *>
*> > *> I guess this is more of a stats question than an RRDtool question,
*> > *> but there's an RRDtool specific question in there too :-)
*> > *>
*> > *> I'm collecting inOctets and outOctets and graphing bits/sec.
*> > *>
*> > *> How would I say "tell me how much bandwidth has been used since midnight
*> > *> on <blah>".
*> >
*> > create a graph for the relevant periode and use PRINT to return the average
*> > value of the data ... multiply this by the number of seconds which have
*> > elapsed over the periode ...
*>
*> Unfortunately, this doesn't work if the data collection started half way through
*> the relevant period.
*>
*> For example, If I want to find out how much each of my routers has transferred
*> since the beginning of the month I can quite easily figure out the number of
*> seconds since the start of the month and a PRINT can give me an average.
*> However, if the router is only enabled, say on the 10th, the average that PRINT
*> gives me seems to be calculated from the 10th to the end of the period so multiplying
*> that by the number of seconds would overestimate (in some cases quite badly) the
*> total amount of bandwidth used.

how about using CDEF and IF to have a variable which is 1 if the data is
known and 0 if the data is unknown ... this will give you the percentage of
time you have data for ...

cheers
tobi
*>