[rrd-users] Re: v1.0.8 width affecting height scale?

Tobias Oetiker oetiker at ee.ethz.ch
Wed Jan 19 23:22:06 MET 2000

Today you sent me mail regarding Re: [rrd-users] v1.0.8 width affecting...:

*> On Wed, 19 Jan 2000, Tobias Oetiker wrote:
*>
*> > yes, what rrdtool does in the smaller graphis to resample the data so that
*> > it fits the resolution of your graph. As you can see only the spike gets
*> > smaller because it gets averaged across a longer time periode than with the
*> > wider graph. The other data towards the end does not change significantly
*> > ...
*> >
*> > now if you are interested in the spikes and their hight you should not use
*> > AVERAGE but rather MAX ...
*>
*> Ahh, okay. Thanks.  I tried re-creating the same graphs using the MAX
*> values and the graphs appeared to be similar.
*>
*> Is there any way I can have rrdtool not perform this relative scaling?  My
*> original idea of the smaller graphs was to be able to put two graphs next
*> to each other for a quick overview before the user scrolled down to the
*> more detailed graphs.

you can not prevent the scaling, because there is no 'sane' way to do the
drawing otherwhise ... I must have a 'point' to draw on the graph, so how do
I find out where to put it. I look at the data points which fall into the
range of time covered by the pixel in the graph and build the average of the
values covered by the pixel and then draw the pixel ...

cheers
tobi
*>
*>  Chris Josephes      __/ MRNet/Onvoy   \
*>  chrisj at mr.net    __/   www.onvoy.com  /
*>

--
/_  __/_  / /  (_) Oetiker, Timelord & SysMgr @ EE-Dept ETH-Zurich