[rrd-users] Re: v1.0.8 width affecting height scale?

Chris Josephes cjoseph at mr.net
Wed Jan 19 23:52:09 MET 2000

On Wed, 19 Jan 2000, Tobias Oetiker wrote:

> *> Is there any way I can have rrdtool not perform this relative scaling?  My
> *> original idea of the smaller graphs was to be able to put two graphs next
> *> to each other for a quick overview before the user scrolled down to the
> *> more detailed graphs.
>
> you can not prevent the scaling, because there is no 'sane' way to do the
> drawing otherwhise ... I must have a 'point' to draw on the graph, so how do
> I find out where to put it. I look at the data points which fall into the
> range of time covered by the pixel in the graph and build the average of the
> values covered by the pixel and then draw the pixel ...

Okay, I can understand the scaling as far as the positioning of the
pixels, but what about the rendering of the legend for the Y axis?

Why couldn't a 100x200 graph and a 100x400 graph of an average value show
the same legend to indicate the same relative values when the same period
of time and the same data is involved?

Maybe I need to re-read the docs on the data structure of the RRAs.

 Chris Josephes      __/ MRNet/Onvoy   \
 chrisj at mr.net    __/   www.onvoy.com  /