[rrd-users] rrdtool resets (sorry)

Christian Pearce pearcec at PacketPushers.com
Sat Jan 27 03:54:03 MET 2001

I been doing a lot of reading through the rrd-users archives about counter
resets that cause rrdtool to artifically wrap.  I don't like rehashing the
old, but it seems that this topic is an will always cause confusing as
long as we have counters and rrdtool. :-)

1. Tobi mentions setting the MIN for the DS to 0.  It is my understanding
when the delta is calculated after a COUNTER was reset it is negative.
Thereby renedering that interval "nan" or *UNKNOWN*.

2. Check the data on the way in a set it to unknown.

I have tried number one and it didn't work for me.

[bb at yoink larrd]$ rrdtool info
/usr/local/bbvar/rrd/pearcec.fast.net.apache.rrd
filename = "/usr/local/bbvar/rrd/pearcec.fast.net.apache.rrd"
rrd_version = "0001"
step = 300
last_update = 980563121
ds[TA].type = "COUNTER"
ds[TA].minimal_heartbeat = 600
ds[TA].min = 0.0000000000e+00
ds[TA].max = NaN
ds[TA].last_ds = "998"

I am not going to try and figure out one, but it seems like a good
solution.  Although from my readings I have been led to believe the MIN
set to zero isn't a total fix.

So I am just going to use :

ds[TA].last_ds = "998"

as for the last value to compare to my current value.  Is this sane?

And it at all possiable could someone tell me how I might cure number one?

Christian Pearce
-PacketPusher