[rrd-users] Re: Adding DS's - without import/export?

Tobias Oetiker oetiker at ee.ethz.ch
Sun Mar 4 00:28:57 MET 2001

Yesterday Jason Fesler wrote:

 | I'm playing around with adding DS's to existing RRD files.
 | I was hoping to be able to tell my data collection scripts
 | that if they see new fields, that the .rrd file doesn't have,
 | automaticly take a moment to convert the .rrd file and be
 | done with it.
 |
 | However, at best, rrdtool dump foo.rrd | rrdtool restore - foo2.rrd
 | takes 15 seconds, consuming 2 CPU's to a maximum (30 CPU seconds).
 | This is without tweaking the XML in the pipe.  This .rrd file has
 | 10 DS's, and lots of RRA's (9 RRA's, for a mix of AVERAGE, MIN, MAX,
 | covering various amounts of time and resolution).
 |
 | Now, I know these files aren't small :-)  - 3.5 meg per .rrd file.
 | But exporting/important this data via XML is .. "lovely". :-)
 |
 | Has anyone made a way to add_ds using the data structures for rrd files
 | directly?  Granted, this is touching the internals of RRD files, and
 | tobias will laugh at me if he changes the data format :-), but I really
 | can't afford to spend 30 cpu seconds (plus filter time) per .rrd file.
 | I have roughly 15,000 .rrd files of similiar size.

the 'idea' is to keep only those things together in one rrd which
are realy tightly related and not likely to change ... others
should go into separate rrds ...

this said, I am sure many would apreciate a mechanism for magically
adding DSes ... and I guess it should not be all that hard todo ...
if you write the documentation first and post it to the list, I
might be able to give some input ...

cheers
tobi

--