[rrd-users] Capturing Times in ms...

Schroeder, Dennis Dennis.Schroeder at sanmina.com
Thu Sep 13 23:43:55 MEST 2001

All,

Thanks for the recent help with PERL programming!

I have another need for which I think you can help me.  I am working with
one of our Oracle developers here to create a script (to run at command
line) that will attach to an Oracle database over a WAN and execute a query.
I want to use PERL to call this script, and time how long it takes from
beginning to end...stuffing that data into an RRD.  To do this, I will have
to follow a procedure something like this:

  capture current time (begin)
  execute database script
  capture current time (end)
  subtract begin from end to get elapsed time
  stuff elapsed time into the RRD

My question is this:  How small of a time increment is PERL capable of
measuring in?  This will only work if PERL can measure small enough
increments, so that the difference between one running of the program and
the next can be seen.

I have the program for doing the PINGs up and running.  We want to compare
the graphs of the PINGs and the program I'm working on now to see if the
peaks correspond, or if they occur at different times.

Thanks!

Dennis Schroeder                                ||        ||
Network Engineer                                ||        ||
SANMINA Global Network Services                ||||      ||||
Phone:  602-824-8431                       ..:||||||:..:||||||:..
Mobile: 602-432-3258                          Cisco  Certified
Email:  dennis.schroeder at sanmina.com         Network  Associate