[rrd-users] Re: Status info for Solaris

Gerhard Ecaroh Froehlich gerhard.froehlich at produktion.gis-online.de
Wed Dec 4 18:30:58 MET 2002

Hi Simon,

Simon wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Sometime ago I wrote a script for Linux that produces 4 graphs (CPU
> usage, Mem usage, HDA usage and Network usage).  I did this using
> /proc/loadavg, /proc/meminfo, df -k and ifconfig.  The only problem is
> that I now have to migrate this to a Sparc Solaris machine which I am
> not too familiar with.  I can still do the df -k but cannot find a
> simple way to change the script to do everything else.

Try to use the common tools like: vmstat, uptime, netstat, sar and du. Better
way to be compatible might be to switch to SNMP. This one's much bigger than
custom scripts, especialy in big environments. Remember, the small one's are
growing!  ;-)

Unfortanetly SUN Solaris SNMP Agent does not support disk usage like a "du".
This would be fixed with UCD-SNMP which i would advise you to use. It is
available for more platforms and do make you more independent.

For me i was to lazy (and unable) to programm it for my own. I like Remstats
which does everything for me, including monitoring Solaris without SNMP.

> Any help would be much appreciated.
>
> Regards,
>
> Si

Bye, Ecaroh