[rrd-users] RRDTool, perl, and Oracle

Robin Norwood robin at pattern.net
Tue Jul 9 16:35:53 MEST 2002

Hello,

I have a project for which the graphing capabilities of RRDTool would be
very helpful.  I've looked into the RRDs perl module, and I have a couple
of questions:

We have an Oracle database, and it would be nice if I could store RRD's
data in Oracle rather than in a text file - however, the perl interface
seems to only accept a filename to store the data in for the RRDs::create
and RRDs::graph functions, for instance.  Is there a way to either:

a) Point RRDs to something else when storing and retrieving the data -
Oracle itself, or even a filehandle or a hash, so I can use Oracle
(which is on another box with plenty of hard disk space for all this data)

or b) Give RRDs the data and get a graph out without using a file to store
the data first - so I can store the data in Oracle myself and pour it into
RRDs to draw the graph.

I guess what I'm saying is that I'd like to use RRDs graph drawing
capabilities but not necessarily it's data storage.  Though it would be
nice to have the 'round-robin-ness', I just don't want it to have to read
from and write to files on the web server - I'd rather have it read from
and write to Oracle.

Thanks,

-RN

--