[rrd-users] Re: *shrugs*

Chris Knipe savage at savage.za.org
Mon Apr 21 19:38:15 MEST 2003

Hi David,

Thanks for the input, and yes this is indeed correct.  HOWEVER, I am now
storing both COUNTER as well as GAUGE (recommended by Paul) for Incoming and
Outgoing traffic in my RRD.  Needless to say, sitting with a 16MB RRD file
for one single port, is not too efficient, seeing that I will soon be
monitoring well over 1,000 Virtual ports.  When you do the maths, that will
put me with over 10GB of databases alone...

In either event, I do realise I need to "count everything together"  Said in
the same breath, I did notice that one of the older RRD versions had a SUM()
function, but this has been removed from the CDEF language - god knows
why...  So I suppose now, my question would be *how* do I count everything
together in a CDEF? I've tried something like

CDEF:Total=PREV(In), In, +

But needless to say, I still get the "curve".

I also tried using a normal GAUGE to graph the volume of data transferred,
but this is *also* wrong, seeing that the GAUGE will graph the actual number
in the database, and not the SUM() of the numbers in the database.  Thus,
should I have a traffic counter standing at 100MB, and that counter on the
interface resets for what ever reason, RRD will graph 100MB, and then graph
0MB - which is wrong (100MB was used and when it's used it's used - period).

What should I do without a SUM() function????

--
me