[rrd-users] Re: Inconsistent results when polling lots of devices

Woodcock, Bradford Bradford.Woodcock at Level3.com
Tue Aug 5 19:22:07 MEST 2003

No prob. Mind you 2% loss when you looked is still not too cool,
although at that rate you shouldn't have extreme problems. If you do
your single config and you still have problems try tinkering with retry
and timeout values on the snmp setting for mrtg to see if it improves. I
would also look for that 2% loss, it may cause your phone to ring for
other sensitive apps. For all we know it could burst the errors much
higher at different times.

Also (if I remember right) you indicated 40 processes and each of those
are also forking. May be overkill on the process creation causing the
system to churn so you are on the right track with your next tests.

Cheers,
Woody...

http://www.inframon.org - infraMon: Network Infrastructure Monitor
http://www.micro-mess.com/forum/ - infraMon Questions/Discussions