[rrd-users] Re: Support for SVG in RRDTool

Kevin.Ruscoe at ubsw.com Kevin.Ruscoe at ubsw.com
Mon Feb 24 17:08:33 MET 2003

Hi Tobi

> this is likely to  be an issue with your groff

Um, yes.  I was accidentally using an ancient version!  When I switched
to groff v1.17.2, all was well.

>> * Next, I tried to run piped_demo.pl (since a grep of the examples
>> showed that this one covers SVG, which is my particular interest.)
>> Initially, this produced the following error:

> fixed ... there must be a \ before a colon which is to be printed
> ... or rather \\ in this case.

I still got an error.  This is because of the colons in the output of
localtime(time()).  Here is a patch for that:

72a73,74
> my $time = localtime(time());
> $time =~ s/:/\\:/g;
91c93
<         "COMMENT:'Graph created on\\: ".localtime(time())."\\c'";
---
>         "COMMENT:'Graph created on\\: $time\\c'";
110a113,114
> my $time = localtime(time());
> $time =~ s/:/\\:/g;
129c133
<         "COMMENT:'Graph created on\\: ".localtime(time())."\\c'";
---
>         "COMMENT:'Graph created on\\: $time\\c'";

>> Can't find font '/usr/share/fonts/truetype/openoffice/ariosor.ttf'

> this has to be edited by hand currently ... rrd_graph.c #define RRD_DEFAULT_FONT

I tried editing rrd_graph.c.  On Solaris, I have some fonts in
/usr/openwin/lib/X11/fonts/TrueType

So, I tried to set RRD_DEFAULT_FONT to
/usr/openwin/lib/X11/fonts/TrueType/CourierNew.ttf

However, I got the same error.  So, it appears as though the existence
of the ttf file is not sufficient.  I looked at the code in
src/rrd_afm_data.c.  This implied to me that I can only pick from
Courier, Helvetica, Times
However, I could not find any ttf files matching those names.
At this point, I got a bit stuck :-)
Probably this is a very simple problem - my knowledge of fonts/ttf/afm, etc. is
minimal.  Can you point me at what I should try next?

>> * Error from Adobe SVG viewer.
>> "not well formed: line 40, column 42"

> hmm as I am not realy into svg yet I can't help with this one

Is there a particular developer on the list whom I should ask about SVG support?

Best wishes
Kevin

+ANYTHING+BELOW+WAS+ADDED+AFTER+I+HIT+SEND+

related financial instruments.