[rrd-users] plotting traffic usage, so easy, and yet so hard?

Rommel, Florian Florian.Rommel at quartal.com
Tue Jan 14 17:02:53 MET 2003

OS to monitor: OpenBSD 3.2, ucd-snmp installed and working
OS that monitors: RH Linux, rrdtool also working
what i want to do: Get a 5 minute reading on what the current traffic throughput (in mbit or kbit) is on a certain NIC on the OpenBSD box.

Ok, I went thru the archives and besides the fellow that tried to sell the script and some other small messages here and there is nothing that I found about this subject. I used to use mrtg and to the current throughput on a NIC it was very easy, but to get the current throughput on a NIC in rrdtool it seems a bit more tricky. I got disk monitoring and cpu monitoring as well as memory usage already plotting, so I don't think I am totally in the dark. I think that the thing that I need to monitor is
interfaces.ifTable.ifEntry.ifInOctets.INTERFACE_NUMBER. Someone on another list told me to use the DERIVE method to get the actual traffic shown, however I just don't get it.

I mean am I even on the right track to accomplish what I wanna do? I read the number on interfaces.ifTable.ifEntry.ifInOctets.INTERFACE_NUMBER and then rrdtool derives it from the last number? How does that give me the current kilobits/s? and should I use a counter or a gauge for this? I was inclined for a gauge.

Anyway I know this might all sound pretty senseless and dumb, the fact that I just had a long day behind me doesn't help making it clear either, so please bear with me. Any help with documentation or examples etc. would be appreciated.

cheers,

//FR